Program Assistant: Position Overview
The Arts Education Department provides visual and performance classes after school as a team of excellent out-of-school time educational professionals. Additionally, we provide a safe place for expression and learning to last a lifetime. Our staff serves elementary school-aged children residing in the local community.
The Program Assistants are charged with supporting the teaching staff and artists to provide quality, creative and age-appropriate opportunities to learn the arts.
- Support student participation in all activities
- Assist children to learn skills, stay on task and further their demonstration of expression
- Engage in activities with participants (at lunch, during classes, at the park, etc)
- Observe and assist instructors to ensure the mission and goals of the Arts Education Department are carried out
- Model techniques and encourage children to participate
- Lead activities that are developmentally appropriate
- Document and evaluate attendance, participant satisfaction and outcomes
- Organize and maintain program spaces to provide a dynamic learning environment
- Plan with the Arts Education team for regular performances and exhibitions to highlight student achievement
- Collaborate with the Arts Education team to provide a high-quality learning experience
Minimum: 45 hours of school-age or education curriculum training, 2-3 years’ experience working with children, or Associate Degree with an education emphasis OR equivalent area of study.
- Able to lift 40 pounds
- Able to stand 90% of the work day
- Able to perform all activities children perform; run, jump, dance
- Able to rise from a sitting position quickly in emergency situations
- Able to sit on the floor
August – June, Monday through Friday (1:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m)
June through mid-August, Monday through Friday (6-8 hours per day)
E-mail LaTanya@joesmovement.org your resume and cover letter or fax it to 301-699-1818.