After the election, a group of community members began to meet, searching for ways to strengthen the community to weather any impact by the new administration.
Joe’s Movement Emporium was asked by this group to host an event on Inauguration night that would celebrate hope. Thus the Resilience Ball – A celebration of community strength and hope, was born.
The volunteer-driven event grew fast. It has become apparent to us as we watch the ticket sales rocket past our expectations that this is a community that needs, loves and supports each other.
We hope all of you, whether you’re a Mount Rainier resident or visitor, spend tomorrow, Inauguration Day, in our city. Here are some things to do (also check out Route 1 Fun for more creative ideas of how to spend your Friday, Saturday & Sunday this weekend!):
Morning Time – The Waterhole Community at 4004 34th Street
Skip the coffee maker and strap on your boots bright and early and walk yourself over to The Waterhole. The brisk walk will do you good and the strong Zeke’s coffee and/or fresh pressed juice will get your day started off right. We recommend trying the Irie Thunder, a delicious pineapple/ginger explosion that will kick start your brain better than an espresso. Die-hard coffee fans need not worry, the coffee here is deliciously rich. Sip it at the beautiful wooden bar while enjoying owner Lisa Harris’ music selection.
Snack Time – Glut Food Co-op at 4005 34th Street
The best grab & go selection of tasty munchies is at Glut Co-op. Stop through the oldest community co-op in town and pick up a bag of candied ginger, choose your favorite from a selection of pre-made, vegan salads and browse their wide selection of bulk spices and teas. No membership is required to stop and shop here! Plus we’ve found they have the best, most affordable collection of incense AND their cheese selection is out of this world.
Lunch Time – ZZ Pizza & Kabob at 4000 34th Street
A Joe’s staff favorite, this local eatery offers some of the best take out in town. ZZ’s Pizza is a classic order for a Friday staff lunch, and vegans and vegetarians will always find something delicious on their varied menu. Our recommendation? The Healthy Choice Kabob: a meat of your choice marinated in a delicious spicy sauce served with plentiful rice and veggies. Enough to share – but we don’t think you’ll want to!
Afternoon Dessert – Sweet & Natural at 4009 34th Street
You may have seen Sweet & Natural cakes in the Whole Foods grab and go section. Maybe you’ve even tried one and experienced just how delicious vegan desserts can be. Isn’t is time you saw what else they had to offer? Step into Sweet & Natural’s cozy cafe setting and pick from a wide variety of cakes, cupcakes, and cookies. Enjoy your treat with a glass of spicy ginger lemonade while sitting in picture perfect window seats and watching the foot traffic. Sweet & Natural’s Friday menu also features their popular vegan quesadillas, not to be missed!
Cocktail Hour – Nisey’s Boutique at 4007 34th Street
If you’ve never been to Nisey’s, you’ve never been shopping. This fun and funky boutique offers a shopping experience like no other. Ladies & gentlemen alike will find beautiful handcrafted, international clothing and jewelry items throughout the store. This Friday from 12 noon – on, Nisey is hosting a FREE cocktail hour featuring chocolate wine, specialty cocktails and some light nibbles. No purchase necessary to enjoy this fabulous community event, though we encourage you to go ahead and indulge – you won’t find items like Nisey’s anywhere else in the area!
Community Cocktails with Nisey begins at 12 noon. All are welcome to come in and participate, there will be no pressure to purchase anything. This event is fully funded by Nisey’s Boutique to create a safe community space.
Dinner & Dancing – Joe’s Movement Emporium at 3309 Bunker Hill Road
Here’s what to bring:
- Potluck items! We won’t judge if you purchase them from ZZ’s Pizza, Glut Food Co-op or Sweet & Natural. Remember the food and beverages are provided by you, the community, so be generous!
- Dancing shoes! We’ve got some swinging great music planned for you and you’ll want to MOVE. Dress code is “come as you Art,” so wear whatever your heart desires. But seriously, we know you’ll want to dance so make sure those shoes are comfy!
- 6 pm
- Doors Open! If you have a ticket, don’t worry about printing it. Your name is on the list! Save trees and just bring yourself. Check in at the front door with Neena and Barbara and get ready to party.
- Coat Check area is provided but not necessarily staffed. Joe’s is not responsible for any lost or stolen items.
- Kids Activities Begin! Activities will be facilitated by Little Friends for Peace and Club Joe’s staff. Water bottles, juice boxes and ZZ’s Pizza (cheese only) provided.
- Studio 1: Sign Making Workshop Begins! Huge thanks to Red Dirt Studio whose artists will be on hand to facilitate with any sign creation for any future marches you may or may not wish to attend. Red Dirt & Joe’s will provide sign making materials BUT feel free to bring your own!
- Studio 2: Potluck & Bar Open! Volunteers and Joe’s staff will help you display and label your dish. Remember potluck items include beverages as well! Joe’s has plates, cups, napkins and forks. All you need to do is bring your favorite dish to share! Coffee from The Waterhole will also be available in the lobby. Snacks purchased from Glut can be found throughout the lobby and in Studio 2.
- 7 pm in Theater
- Welcome Announcement by MC Gabi
- Community Sing begins in Theater
- 7:30 pm in Studio 3
- 8 pm in Theater
- Performance by Asheru and Ras D
- 8:20 pm in Theater
- Speakers: The Four Gateway Arts District Mayors
- 8:45 pm in Theater
- 9:45 pm in Theater
- 11 pm EVENT END
We look forward to having all of you in our facility tomorrow. If you have any questions or concerns, please email: Neena@joesmovement.org.
Please note we expect the online tickets sales to SELL OUT but we will be selling limited numbers of tickets at the door. It is Joe’s desire that everyone who wishes to attend is able. However our priority is to ensure the safety of everyone in our facility.