Joe’s Movement Emporium and The Clarice present the first in the 2017-18 NextLOOK series season featuring music, poetry and spoken word that pay homage to black female artists.
Dior Ashley Brown and The dAb Band come to Joe’s Movement Emporium October 16th – 20th for a 5-day residency where they will be creating a tribute to women in the performing arts using interactive music components from spoken word, game shows, and live performance. Through an acknowledgement of the female voice, both past and present, Brown seeks to express the creative struggle of black female performing artists, while highlighting their significant contributions to creative change and influence. Expect everything from Nina Simone to Lil Kim. Tickets are pay-what-you-wish with a suggested donation of $15 per person. Tickets can be purchased by calling 301-699-1819 or visiting Joe’s online at www.joesmovement.org. Joe’s is located at 3309 Bunker Hill Road, Mt. Rainier, MD 20712.
About Dior Ashely Brown and The dAb Band
We are Dior Ashley Brown and The dAb Band. Our work is Hip-Hop which includes the genres jazz, soul, R&B, blues, go-go, funk and more. Our performance not only includes these genres but freestyle Hip-Hop lyrics and live instrumentation. What makes us unique is that we not only write songs, but create full-length sets with free association and live instrumentation. We use call and response audience participation committing fully to the moment. We are also a female lead. For decades, in Hip-Hop genre, the female presence has struggled to maintain, and women are frequently under represented within the culture.
About the NextLOOK Series
Established in 2014, NextLOOK supports the development of new music, plays, dance and other experiences by regionally-based performing artists. Selected through a yearly application process, NextLOOK artists are given a stipend and access to rehearsal and performance space at Joe’s Movement Emporium. These artists also collaborate with The Clarice and Joe’s Movement Emporium staff to construct innovative methods of deepening the audience’s involvement in their creative process. By removing logistical barriers and providing a sounding board for artists creating new work, NextLOOK invests in the regional arts ecology and creates an accessible, exploratory environment that connects intriguing artists with adventurous audiences. All NextLOOK performances are pay-what-you-wish.
WHAT: Dior Ashley Brown Presents…
WHEN: Friday, October 20, 2017 at 7 pm
WHERE: The Meyer Performance Theater, Joe’s Movement Emporium, 3309 Bunker Hill Road, Mt. Rainier, MD 20712
COST: Tickets are pay-what-you-wish. Suggested donation is $15 per person online or at the door.
NextLOOK Artist, Orange Grove Dance will be exploring the unique spaces within a one-mile radius of Joe’s Movement Emporium.
On Friday, April 14th at 7 pm Joe’s Movement Emporium in partnership with Maryland National Capital Park & Planning, Maryland State Arts Council, and The Clarice present Orange Grove Dance as a part of the NextLOOK series. Dance, film and projection will be used to zoom into and magnify the intimate nooks and crevices of seemingly familiar spaces and, in turn, bring those outside spaces inside the walls of Joe’s. The evening begins at Joe’s 3309 Bunker Hill Rd, Mt. Rainier, MD 20712 and ends up at Brentwood Arts Exchange at 3901 Rhode Island Ave, Brentwood, MD 20722 after a choose-your-own-adventure tour of Joe’s one mile radius. Pay-what-you-wish tickets can be purchased online via Eventbrite. Recommend cost is $15 per person.
About The 1 Mile Radius Project – Experience Space Differently
Orange Grove Dance artistic directors Colette Krogol and Matt Reeves state, “we are interested in how dance, film, and projection can conduct memory mapping of the less noticed, possibly forgotten parts of our seemingly familiar spaces. [During our residency] We want to zoom into and magnify the intimate nooks and over stepped crevices of the area.” Krogol and Reeves will be in residency at Joe’s Movement Emporium conducting interviews and developing the work during the week prior to their April 14th showing. Krogol and Reeves have already begun sourcing the community for stories, photos and memories of spaces in and around the communities of Mt. Rainier and Brentwood, MD. Their journey can be followed on twitter at @followtheorange.
Those interested in contributing to the project can through tweeting at or emailing the Orange Grove Dance. More information can be found by clicking here.
About Orange Grove Dance
Krogol and Reeves are dancers, choreographers, filmmakers, and teaching artists. They hold Bachelors of Fine Arts in Dance from the University of Florida and together are the Artistic Directors of Orange Grove Dance, a multi-media dance company that creates visually athletic experiences through the lenses of dance, film, and design. Though both originally hail from Florida, the formative years of the company (since 2007) were spent in New York City. Currently, they reside in the DC area and are pursuing MFA’s in Dance at The University of Maryland.
More information can be found online at www.orangegrovedance.com.
About the NextLOOK Series
Joe’s Movement Emporium and The Clarice in College Park, MD are partnered for their third season of NextLOOK. Established in 2014, this application-based program gives regionally-based performing artists the time, space and dollars to develop new work with the opportunity to deepen the audience’s interaction and involvement through previews, workshops and feedback sessions.
More information can be found by clicking here.
- Thursday, May 12th at 11 am: Watch students from Northwestern High School take to Joe’s stage in a performance that concludes their 9-week residency entitled “Movement Experience”. This moving showcase of the power of dance will have you leaping out of your seat to join them on the dance floor. FREE TO ATTEND. ALL WELCOME.
- Friday, May 13th at 5:30 pm: A Joe’s staff favorite, see what the Club Joe’s kids have been working on all semester! Experience the warm wash of joy & pride as you watch children from local elementary schools perform dances traditions from around the world learned right here in Mount Rainier, MD. $5 PER ADULT. KIDS 12 & UNDER FREE. ALL WELCOME.
SATURDAY (Happy Gateway Open Studios Tour!)
- Saturday, May 14th from 12 noon – 4 pm: Experience Arts Education as only Joe’s can serve it. The leadership team of Joe’s Art Education programs take to the studios to offer free hula hooping at 12 noon, free salsa lessons at 2 pm and free visual arts class at 3 pm. Consider this a free sneak preview of what Camp Joe’s has to offer. FREE. SOME AGE RESTRICTIONS APPLY.
- Saturday, May 14th from 2 – 5 pm: Joe’s Movement Emporium’s highest flying artist resident company, UpSpring Studio, gives an all-access look into the world of aerial. Demonstrations offered in the lobby AND opportunities to sign up for a free mini-lessons for all ages and all abilities. FREE. ALL AGES & ABILITIES ENCOURAGED TO PARTICIPATE.
- Sunday, May 15th at 10 am: Join yoga instructor Stephen Bascietto, for Community Vinyasa Yoga. This free class runs through June 19th. The class features a moderately paced flow style class with a mix of standing/balancing postures followed by calming “yin style” floor postures. FREE DROP-IN CLASS!
- Sunday, May 15th at 4 pm: A one-day-only opportunity to watch the classic fairytale story of “The Magic Horse” come to life before your very eyes. Zerkalo Musical Theater returns to Joe’s with their bi-lingual ensemble of child actors for this work-in-process showing. All ages welcome! PAY-WHAT-YOU-WISH, CASH ONLY AT DOOR.